Monday, August 17, 2009

Out Of The Mouth Of Ains: The Mommy Book

Today has the double distinction of being both Ainsley's 7th birthday and her first day of second grade. Yes, I know that kinda sucks.

She took it in stride this morning, getting back into the routine of getting ready for school with minimal fuss (I know this won't last; I give it until Wednesday morning.) Once we got to school, she showed her "I'm seven now" independence. She saw that most parents were parking their cars and walking their kids inside the building to get them off to a good start.

"Mommy, I don't want you to walk me in. Just drop me off at the doors," she said. Just turned seven and already too cool to be seen with Mom--they become obnoxious so fast.

"Ainsley, I have to be a good mom here and do what the other parents are doing," I said, tongue firmly planted in cheek. "I have to walk you in and say goodbye to you and give you a big hug in front of all your friends on your first day."

Then she said, without a hint of sarcasm,

"Why? Is that in your Mommy Book?"

I had to laugh. Quietly, so she wouldn't see.

"My Mommy Book? What do you mean?"

"You know. Where you get all your big ideas."

I have no idea where she got this, but I'm just going to roll with it. When she complains about one of my "big ideas", I have something to pin it on. No treats after dinner if she doesn't eat her peas? Sorry, the Mommy Book says so. In bed by 8 on a school night? Mommy Book. Can't sit slack-jawed in front of the TV for two hours watching Phineas and Ferb on a beautiful day when she should be playing outside? Sooo the Mommy Book.

Plus, now I have a great baby shower present idea for her when she has her first kid. A long, long time from now.

1 comment:

Karen said...

That's too funny. Where can I get a copy of that book? ;) Especially the bedtime chapter.