Thursday, August 18, 2011

A New Direction

I'm back! Well, sorta.

I've taken a looong absence from the blog. I guess moving will do that to a person. No one really wants to hear all about painting walls, picking out curtains, and happy evenings spent browsing light fixtures at home improvement stores, so I haven't really had much to write about.

Which has made me take a step back and realize I need to take a step forward.

For years now, I've used this forum as a way to rant and rave, to console myself, to express the joys and sorrows of parenting, losing loved ones, and living as a young cancer survivor. I think I've gotten pretty much everything off my chest. (Though my current gripe, if anyone cares to hear it, is that appliance repair people only work between 8 and 4. Which means that, if an appliance breaks down, even if it's new and under warranty and totally not the consumer's fault, you have to take time off work to get the repair. Really, Samsung? REALLY?) But I've always threatened to write a book someday. And I might just be ready to start.

As I've gotten older, I've realized that it is a bloody miracle that my childhood turned out a healthy product. The odds were against me. And yet somehow I made it.

I think my life could be a good story. The world doesn't need another memoir, certainly. But I am ready to tell mine.

I had really good feeback from what I did at Christmas this year, which was to tell the story of several important Christmases in my life using different points of view and different ways of writing. For a while, if you will bear with me, I want to tell some more stories about my childhood playing around with the perspective and the point of view. When I feel I've found my voice, I may just start writing something "for real." Or I may just keep blogging. Who knows? I just want to write. And if what I write can someday help another person out, and let them know that they're not alone and that there's hope even when your home life isn't, technically speaking, good, well...that's just gravy, isn't it? A big bowl of sausage-studded homestyle cream gravy.

Some stories will be funny, some not so much. Such is life.

I hope you'll come back if you went away, or stick with me if you've been here all along. Either way, I've missed writing, and I will keep on until I have nothing else to tell.

No comments: