Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Not-So-Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Photo Album

So, I had this plan.

This December, I was going to get back to some funny and write cheerful posts about the holidays using as inspiration pictures from my childhood and young-adult-hood which I had recently mined from the riches of my mom's family photo album.

Then, on an otherwise beautiful Saturday afternoon, I got derailed from any and all yuletide plans by a very sick child running a very high fever.

Ainsley was diagnosed with pneumonia a few days later, went through two different antibiotics, missed a week of school, missed two weeks of swim, slept much and ate little, and in general gave me the mommy fright of my life. I thought the second concussion was as bad as it could get as far as thinking my beloved child was in mortal peril; seeing my child not quite getting enough oxygen and fighting an infection that just didn't want to leave proved worse.

So Christmas was weird. She did get better enough to go to school the last 3 days before break and attend her classroom party, but she wasn't fully mended until after Christmas. We didn't do any of the holiday things we usually do, I got hopelessly behind, and for a fortnight I was too fraught with worry to do much in the evening besides check her temperature every hour and pace circles around the kitchen. Needless to say, I've not been in much of a blogging mood.

I think I'll be back soon. If anyone is still out there (sometimes I envision tumbleweeds in the blogosphere when I write), keep checking. I'm slowly getting back to something resembling a normal life.

Oh, and the kid? She is doing well. Despite a lousy lead-up, she had a great Christmas. And has gotten her appetite back with a vengeance, hell-bent on emptying the pantry and refrigerator quicker than I can shop to refill them.

Happy 2012, readers. See you soon.

No comments: