Thursday, March 22, 2007

Tubby No More

We knew it was going to happen, but I'm still shocked. Tubby Smith has resigned as head coach of my beloved UK Wildcats. I don't even know what to say. I'm...speechless.

I'm one of those fans who was wishing for this. But now I'm worried. Who are we gonna get? I keep hearing Travis Ford's name--he's allegedly on the "short list." To quote Frank Barrone, "Holy crap." That surely isn't what we want, is it?

I am also one of those sports fans who thinks every win or loss is all about me. As if, when we're down by 10, I can concentrate really hard and send some kind of karmic energy their way to make everybody get their heads out of their asses and win the game. I've spent more games than I like to admit in a praying position using my special UK-superfan-brainpower to the point of giving myself a migraine in what I know deep down is a useless attempt to influence a sporting event taking place hundreds of miles away. I visualize every lobbed ball and every free throw swishing in the basket and, if they miss, blame myself for not having a clear enough vision. I have even worked out where geographically a game is taking place in relation to my location and faced that way with a determined (and constipated) look on my face to better aim my brain waves. I know, kids. I am a sick and deluded individual. It's all about me!

But since I think I am so influential, and blame myself a little for wanting them to lose this March so that Tubby would leave, I need your help. Who should we use our collective consciousness to remotely manipulate into taking the coaching position?

Leave a comment about it. Then, let's all face Lexington and chant the name and make it happen!

3 comments:

Shan said...

Thrilled! I heard Donovan's name mentioned...good, bad, or ugly?

Anonymous said...

While I would LOVE to have Donovan back in Lexington, it won't happen. Like the Librarian, I was hoping in my heart of hearts that Tubby would go---but so soon?! I would not want Ford to be responsible for the Cats but I did hear mention of Memphis' Calipari...(1. did I use the apostrophe correctly... 2. did I spell his name right?)

Shan said...

There is news on the replacement front. Check out this article:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/11347917/detail.html