Saturday, April 7, 2007

Make the World Go Away

I remember naps. They're those leisurely afternoon lay-me-downs I used to indulge in before I became a mom. God, I miss them.

I still get weekend naps since Ainsley still naps. I am very grateful for this and will mourn her naps when she outgrows them. But I really miss the after-school nap. You know, the turn-the-world-off-and-pretend-this-day-didn't-happen nap. Those used to be my saving grace; when I had had a particularly rough day, or when I was coming down with something, they allowed me the peace and quiet I needed to reset myself. But, in mommy-dom, they don't exist.

Friday I REALLY needed one. I had fought a migraine all day, and though Excedrin was keeping it at bay, I can't ever really get rid of a migraine unless I close my eyes for a little bit (thank goodness I only get one a month.) It was also one of those cold, gray days that are best spent under a blanket. I picked Ainsley up from preschool and told her how tired mommy was.

"Why don't you show me a movie and I'll be quiet and you can sleep on the couch?" she offered.

Why, Ains, what a great idea! Oh, how tempting. What's a guilt-ridden working mom to do? Let the TV babysit while you indulge in a luxury, or do the right thing and entertain the preschooler, headache be darned?

Temptation won. Ainsley picked The Little Mermaid, and I dozed for an hour. At one point I felt like I was being watched and I opened my eyes to see Ainsley standing right over top of me, needing to ask me a question. But other than that, it was a good deal. And I have promised myself to only do this in times of migraine duress.

But it was a reminder of those days when I was free to crash on a regular basis, without having to clear it with anyone half my height or employ a Disney princess. If you are among the napping class, exercise that freedom now. Enjoy it. Savor each couch coma as if it were your last. Seize the day, friends. Take a nap.

No comments: