Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Show Must Go On...Or Not

We are performing (using the term loosely) our faculty murder mystery for students for the first time today. And we are doing it without our lead. Wow.

I can't get into all the backstage drama here (to explain the fracas fully, I would have to write, like, the longest entry ever), but it was ugly. We have a friend of a cast member, who is a professional actor, taking over the part, but he will have to use a script for today's performance as he didn't get enough notice to memorize lines yet. I am amazed that he says he can have them down by Thursday, but I guess that's possible for someone who gets paid to act.

But can we really bill it as a "faculty" show if not all our actors are on the staff here?

And how weird will that be to act with someone I don't know from Adam, who will have a script in hand, while trying to be entertaining enough to hold 500 students' attention?

Methinks we're in for an interesting dramatic experience. Wish me luck. Tell me to break a leg. No, really. A broken leg right now seems perferable to the drama ahead.

No comments: