Monday, July 28, 2008

The Crap-Your-Pants Rental of the Summer

We watched the horror movie The Descent last night. Anybody seen this one? It's been a while since it was in theaters, and it's been out on DVD for a while, too. Jason and I are a little behind in the Netflix cue (getting hooked on Rock Band will do that to you) and decided to catch up a little last night.

I have no idea how I was able to fall asleep after watching that movie. Oh, yeah. Tylenol PM.

It's the scariest thing I've watched in years. At one point, I couldn't even sit still; I was simultaneously watching the movie and pacing the floor. It triggered my claustrophobia. Good thing we didn't go to it in the theater.

I won't give away too much. I will say that the horror starts in the first five minutes (I almost turned it off five minutes in; for you mommies out there, it opens with a scene specially designed to give us nervous breakdowns. Just remember, it's only a movie.)

I both love and hate a good startle, and the best I think I have ever seen is here. Jason and I both screamed (not jumped, but actually screamed.) We haven't been startled like that since his brother sent him the dreaded email where we thought it was a question about who sings this 80's-sounding song playing in the background and while we were listening intently Regan's face from The Exorcist appeared full-screen. If I ever get a future heart problem, I will blame it on that email.

So if you like being scared senseless, and want a smart, indie horror film that's not just teenage starlets being chased by zombies, check this one out.

And have some Benadryl close at hand; you're going to need something to lower your heart rate and make you able to sleep when it's all over.

No comments: