Friday, December 14, 2007

That's the (Christmas) Spirit!

I haven't been to a single Christmas party yet (the McScrooges at hubby's workplace cancelled their annual event to cut costs--boo!). I haven't baked any holiday goodies. I've barely wrapped any presents, and I've yet to sample any eggnog. Tuesday it was warm enough to be outside without a coat on, and instead of fluffy, white snowflakes and red sleds zooming down hills, we've had days of dark gray skies, rain, and black umbrellas as far as the eye can see. I've not been feeling very yule this year.

As we were cleaning up from dinner last night (and by cleaning up, I mean throwing away the paper plates I threw some turkey sandwiches on), Jason leaned in and said, "You know what it's time for, don't you?" And then he launched into that Bing Crosby Christmas standard. You know, that special holiday song that gets everyone in the spirit of the season.

"Mele Kalikimaka is the think to say
On a bright, Hawaiian Christmas day..."

What? Which Bing Crosby Christmas song did you think it was? Does he sing any other ones?

See, we in Cranky House think the best Christmas movie of all time is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I know there are other, more heart-warming movies that more cultured and mature folks like, but for us it's all about the Griswolds and Cousin Eddie. As absurd as that movie is, it speaks more to what the holidays are like for me than any other holiday movie. I know that makes my family sound crazy and dysfunctional, but hey, that's pretty much the best way to describe us.

And of course, "Mele Kalikimaka" is the background song in a pivotal scene in that movie. Well, pivotal if you're male and you like watching a pretty girl strip off her bathing suit.

Talking to Jason about how it's just about time to have a Christmas Vacation viewing night, and calling out our favorite lines to each other, I felt my grinchy heart grow at least a size and a half.

Then, as if the TV gods heard my laughter and knew I needed some more cheer, we stumbled upon the SNL Christmas Special. The bad thing about having a DVR is you never see commercials for upcoming TV specials, so I had no idea that perennial favorite was on last night. Hooray!

I was way too tired to watch the whole thing, but we recorded it and I got to watch a few of my favorite holiday-themed sketches. Who doesn't feel the reason for the season when watching Mary Catherine Gallagher trying to outsing Whitney Houston and then crashing backwards into a Christmas set? Or when the middle-school music teachers re-enact the nativity at a shopping mall by singing an ill-arranged and operatically-sung medley? It brings a tear to my eyes and warms my heart. It really does.

I am hoping that when I watch the rest of it tonight that I get to hear my favorite fake R & B Christmas song. Yeah, you know the one. About a certain something-something in a box.

And that a certain Pete Schweaty gets to share a very special treat with the NPR ladies.

And if those sketches aren't included, I know I can find them on You Tube. After spending some time on that site, which features the very best and worst that our society has to offer, I always want to echo Tiny Tim. God bless us, everyone, indeed.

With a potential snow storm coming this weekend (rush the stores, everybody! Get your bread, milk, and de-icer before the White Death comes!), I am looking forward to watching my Christmas movie and my SNL and by Monday, I should be having the hap-hap-happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby danced with Danny Kaye! Ho, ho, ho, everybody!

No comments: