Thursday, June 11, 2009

Boy Bands

Oh-oh-o-o-oh, Oh-oh-o-oh, Oh-oh-o-o-oh...the right stuff!



Sorry. NKOTB are coming to town in their big reunion and nostalgia tour, and the local pop radio station I listen to in the morning has been going on and on and on about it. It's enough to make me want to rush out and gets tickets in the nosebleeds just to see my second-favorite Wahlberg and his band of former teen idols.



Almost.



I just barely missed the whole boy band phenomenon. I was just barely too old and too cool to like the New Kids at their peak. At least, that was my public story. I remember declaring their stuff cheesy and meant for the "teenyboppers" (by which I meant "middle-schoolers who are all of one year younger than I am") and made quiet fun of the girls in my high-school who wore NKOTB t-shirts and buttons. Sometimes, though, when "I'll Be Loving You Forever" came on the radio, I would sing along. What 16-year-old girl doesn't like a ballad sung in an impossible falsetto? And I did think Jonathan was terribly cute and seemed sooo sincere and sensitive. I still do think he's terribly cute, in fact, which makes it so disturbing that when I Googled him just now to make sure I had the spelling right I learned that he is quite possibly gay. Oh, poor Tiffany. I was hoping after her turn on Celebrity Fit Club that they would somehow find each other again.



So I don't really want to go see them in concert now since I didn't like them so much then. I would feel the same way about Boyz II Men, The Backstreet Boys, N Sync, etc. There would be some nostalgia, but not a whole lotta love. I didn't own a single tape or CD by any of those groups. Sorry, boys. I'm just not that into you. You were a little too young for me when you hit it big; I was crushing on Jon Bon Jovi, Bono, and, sadly, Steven Tyler.

Ainsley, however, is already in boy band love.

Last night she said one of those things that make me so glad that I'm blogging and taking all this down for posterity. Because some day, she's gonna love reading that she said this.

"Momma, can we go see the Jonas Brothers in concert?"

"Well, Ains, they just came to Cincinnati in the fall, and I don't think they'll be back for a while. And by the time they do come back, you probably won't like them any more."

She sighed. "Oh, I'll love the Jonas Brothers forever. I'm always gonna want to see the Jonas Brothers live."

And there you have it. The reason why thousands of women in their late 20s and early 30s will be screaming like tweens when the New Kids come to town. Once a fan of the boy band, always a fan of the boy band.

Were any of you in love with any of the boys from Boston? Would you go see them in concert now?

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hail, no. I turned down a chance to go see NKOTB when they were popular and I sure wouldn't go see them now. I heard enough of them when Katie used to play them over and over and OVER. UGH. It was almost a relief when she moved on to the Dave Matthews Band. Almost.

Melmart said...

I was in college when the Kids hit the streets. I'm not a fan, at all. I did however, have a classmate who was obsessed and I'm sure will be at their concert with her children. She's already posted on fb about being "like totally excited".
yuck
However, if Phil Collins, BB King or Garrison Keillor are ever in town...I'm there.

And yes, I realize those 3 totally contradict each other. I don't care. That's how I am....a walking contradiction.