Wednesday, May 9, 2007

My Mental Health Day

Ahhh, what a day. I took a much-needed personal day today. I didn't think I would make it through the last month of school without it.

I planned this personal day a while ago; I wanted it to be the day after our last big 2-hour Relay meeting. The timing was great; last night's meeting...well, it could have been better. So it was a great night to come home and pop open a couple of guilt-free Dos Equises and watch American Idol. (AI is more fun, by the way, when you're drinking beer.) A weeknight buzz is a rare treat.

Then I got to sleep in a little this morning, go for a run, lounge around, and catch up on daytime TV. The commercials for daytime TV are definitely different than those for prime time. I had a few thoughts as I watched:

1. I must get some L'Oreal Dual Action Revitalift for eyes before my 15-year high-school reunion.

2. Wagon wheel furniture? Really? This is something you want to advertise in your furniture store? It reminded me of When Harry Met Sally when Billy Crystal has just seen his ex-wife, and he and Meg Ryan bring a gift to Bruno Kirby and Carrie Fisher, who have just moved in together and are arguing over whether or not they should keep Bruno's wagon wheel coffee table. Billy cracks and goes on a diatribe about relationships and their inevitable fall and how one day you wake up and you're breaking up and start arguing over who gets "an ugly, tacky, wagon-wheel coffee table!" And now there's a furniture store in my area advertising their wide variety of wagon wheel benches and end tables...

3. I know rheumatoid arthritis is a terrible and painful disease, but why would anyone be tempted to take a medicine that lists "lymphoma" as a possible side effect?

4. I still don't get the appeal of the Geico commercials. Even the caveman ones.


Any day where the most pressing issue I face before 3pm is the stupidity of commercials is a good day indeed.

No comments: