Thursday, May 31, 2007

Hold Me Closer, Tiny Dancer

Ainsley had her first dance lesson last night. I promised her that she could give them a try since she has been going around the house imitating Genevieve from Barbie and the Twelve Dancing Princesses all spring.

The dance studio we're sending her to requires each Kinderdance student to wear a pink leotard, pink tights, and pink ballet shoes. So she was all decked out in her pink dance gear, hair pulled into a little bun, looking like a little dancing angel.

I didn't get to watch any of the dance lesson as parents are not invited into the tiny studio, but she demonstrated pointing one toe and then the other when she got home. Apparently this was the focus of the first lesson, and she told me that she was very good at it.

If she really likes it, I guess we will keep her in lessons next school year. I don't want to be one of those parents driving her kid around to a dozen different activities every week, and I don't want Ainsley overscheduled before she even starts 1st grade. We already have her working her way through the Swim America program at our gym, but I guess if she continues to love dance, we'll have to add that to our weekly schedule. At least I can work out while she does these things; the overzealous moms I see watching, analyzing, and sidelines-coaching every move their kids make during lessons or practices give me the heebie-jeebies. And the girly gossip crew that crammed into the claustrophobic waiting room across from the dance studio last night completely wasn't my scene.

But at least for now, dance does seem to be Ainsley's scene. It was so precious to see my little tomboy flitting around in a pink leotard with a little short skirt. And if it helps her to grow up to be more coordinated than her poor mama, all the better.

1 comment:

Shan said...

The image this paints for me is adorable! There's something about a little girl in pink.