Thursday, June 14, 2007

I've Never...

EW.com has a really fun confessional posted today where many of their staffers have 'fessed up to their embarrassing "I nevers"; in other words, the pop culture icons they've never watched, listened to, or read. I dabble in a little of everything for entertainment: I read, of course (junk-food novels as well as true "literature"), I watch too much TV, I listen to a variety of radio stations, and I try to catch the movies everyone talks about. It took me a while to think of my own pop culture blind spots, but I do have them. Here goes:

1. I've never seen The Blues Brothers. I almost did when I was a kid; when my dad took me to see The Empire Strikes Back, we wandered into the wrong theater and I saw a few minutes of a car chase scene. But then we found the right theater and saw my beloved Luke Skywalker. I never seem to be able to catch Blues Brothers from the beginning on TV nowadays, and there are too many newer movies I want to see to be able to remember to rent it, so there you go.

2. I've only been to 3 concerts in my entire life: the B-52s with the Violent Femmes in high school, Harry Connick Jr. in college, and Garth Brooks in the late 90s. Because I listen to a little of everything, it's rare for me to fall so in love with an artist that I gladly plop down $100 for a concert ticket. The two acts I most want to see live, U2 and the Dixie Chicks, never tour close enough for it to be reasonable for me as a working mom to go. Though I might be seeing Dave Matthews with the hubby and his brother (both are DMB nuts) this summer.

3. I never know the title or artist of any chart-topping pop or rock song. I usually can sing along with the chorus of any song in heavy rotation on our Top 40 station, but I just never bother to learn the real title or who sings it. It makes for some good times when there's a song I've heard that I really like and want to buy on iTunes; I just have to listen to clips for a dozen or so songs or Google the lyrics I know (or think I know) until I find the right song. I was shocked when I found out that Carrie Underwood sings "Before He Cheats." That's how clueless I am.

That's my pop culture confessional. How about you? The more embarrassing, the better!

1 comment:

Shan said...

I've never seen any of the Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street,or Halloween movies. I have seen bits, but never all of them.