Monday, June 11, 2007

What I Crave

Smell that? I just know you can smell it through your monitor...the umistakable scent of onions, grease, and "beef." Oh, yeah. I'm hammering on some White Castles on my lunch hour and have to stop to sing the praises of those wonderful little junk-food creations.

Cranky's not been feeling so well for the last 24 hours. I overdid the free beer at my reunion Saturday night and have had a queasy stomach. I wasn't rendered immobile like I was after my last really good forget-everything-that-happened-after-10pm drunk, the infamous Falmouth New Year's Eve of 1997, but I only think I could have survived that once in a lifetime. There's a reason I haven't been seriously hung over in 10 years; after that one, I vowed to never again throw up from alcohol and have stayed pretty true to my word (I've gotten sick once or twice since then from a combo of overeating and alcohol, but never just from being a moron and drinking until I can't hold my bodily fluids.) But this has been the worst I've felt on a morning after since that memorable (or not) party.

I ate yesterday, but nothing tasted very good. I've heard that a certain miniature hamburger can be a great hangover food, and when I remembered that there is a new Whitey's just up the road from school, I started to crave a sack of some onion-y, greasy goodness.

The onion chips barely survived the ride back, and I made short work of the cheeseburgers, too. They DO taste better after a night of hard drinking. Who woulda thunk it?

I've also heard they're the best when you're still in the process of getting blotto, but seeing as how I've always preferred to imbibe in the comfort of my own home, I've never had an opportunity to test that myth. Based on how yummy they were just now, I can only imagine.

So, hats off to you, o sliders of joy. You were just what the doctor ordered.

No comments: