Sunday, June 10, 2007

Reunited (And It Feels So Good)

The class of 1992 rocked the club last night. We rocked it so hard, in fact, that Cranky is writing her first hung-over blog entry this morning. I don't feel as bad as I probably should given that I drank beer in a constant stream for 5 hours last night, but my stomach feels like it could rebel at any moment. However, I am not nearly as hung over as my hubby, who has thrown up every attempt he's made at hydration this morning and is currently in bed praying for death.

So as I wait for my can of Coke to get a little icy in the freezer (after the requisite water to re-hydrate, I've found nothing takes the edge off the morning-after pain better than a slushy Coke) I thought I'd take a minute to reflect on my 15-year high-school reunion. At least, what I remember of it.

What surprised me the most was how much less hair there was. Not only have we formerly big-haired Kentucky girls all tamed our bangs considerably since 1992, but many of our boys have become follicularly challenged.

Except for everyone having less hair, people hadn't changed too dramatically. We looked like our old selves; we just look like adults now instead of kids. Scattered on the walls were pictures from the senior pages in our yearbook and I wasn't shocked so much that we all look old now, but I was shocked that we looked like babies in those senior pictures. I thought we were so grown up then; we drove, we worked, many of us were getting ready to leave home. But we were just kids, y'all. Now we have kids.

Everyone started off hanging out with their old cliques, but once the liquor got flowing we all warmed up to each other and found that we are more alike than different. No matter whether we were basketball studs or mathletes, prom court princesses or honor society wallflowers, we talked last night about our jobs, our kids, our spouses. The guy whose last name followed mine in the alphabet and sat behind me every day in every home room from 6th grade on, who tortured me on many occasions by pulling my bra strap or making fun of my geekiness, proudly showed pictures of his 5 kids to my husband. The "real world" is a great equalizer. I really expected to find a table, talk to a few people for an hour, and then retreat with my husband to the geek corner for the rest of the evening. But it wasn't that way. It was just...cool.

The after-party at a "cool kid's" house was the best part. After my good friend Wanda Y called my mom to ask permission for me to play a little longer (mom was our babysitter) we piled into the designated driver's car for the kind of party I never went to in high school. I drank beer with some jocks and cheerleaders and even smoked a cigarette (yeah, yeah, stupid thing for someone who's had cancer to do, but it's only the 3rd cigarette I've ever smoked and it tasted goooooood.)

I had my doubts that the reunion would be anything more than a reason to be self-conscious, but it was the best time I've had in years. I know some of you all read this, and I just have to say--you guys are AWESOME. I really went to school with some fun people.

The only bad part (besides the hangover): my digital camera did not make it home with me. I think I left it in Bean's car, or at Ashley's house. If any of y'all have seen it, or can help me track down Ashley's number, that would be cool.

And keep in touch, guys. Let's not let another 15 years go by without having a couple of beers and catching up (just remind me to stop next time; I'm getting too old for hangovers.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right....it was a GREAT time had by all and we do have some awesome classmates!!
I am glad your mom let you come and play! :-P
I think my hangover would have been worse if I hadn't slept until about 6pm on Sunday!