Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Breaking News From the World Of Amateur Theatre

Cranky is going to be taking to the stage for the first time in a dozen years! I have been cast in our faculty murder mystery dinner theater to raise money for our drama department. I didn't even have to audition! Granted, it's not like teachers were knocking down doors or anything to get a part, but still. Let me have my moment.

My thing in high school was to play roles that really were supposed to go to males. I was the Artful Dodger in Oliver, and the John the Baptist/Judas role in Godspell. Following in that great theater tradition of not having enough guys wanting to take part, I have been cast in a male role yet again.

My character's name is Ronald Shifty, and he is a shifty bloke, indeed. I have to adopt a thick cockney accent for the part (I'm thinking Dick Van Dyke from Mary Poppins) and hit on one of my female co-workers. It's not a very big part, but it's one that provides comic relief. Am I the murderer? You'll just have to see it to find out.

For those interested, I'll have performance information posted soon. We have a great cast, and it's a really fun script. It should be a fun night for a good cause.

No comments: