Monday, September 3, 2007

For a Limited Time Only--The Happy Librarian!

I've started this post 3 times. I had something to gripe about (2 somethings, actually), something I was very fired-up about, but couldn't seem to get into it. I looked back over my posts from the last week for inspiration and had an epiphany: I have become dangerously bitter. Even for a blog that calls itself "The Cranky Librarian", there's been a little too much acid coming from this pen.

You know how as a kid, you would unknowingly step in dog poo while playing in the yard, and you would think for a while, "Gosh, what is that smell?" It would kinda follow you around, and your friends would notice and start accusing everyone else of farting, and then you would walk into your house to get a popsicle and your mom would scream, "AAAAGH! You're tracking dog crap on the carpet!' and then you would realize you'd been carrying that on your shoe for hours. I feel like my last 7 days have been like that, except instead of real doggy droppings, I've stepped in a big pile of Karmic offal.

I'm tired of this bad luck. I'm tired of picking foul-smelling experiences out of the treads of my shoes. I need an Extreme Makeover: World View Edition.

So here's the deal: to try to make something positive happen for me, I am going to surround myself with good thoughts this week. No, really. Stop laughing. I promise that, for an entire week, I will only post good comments about people. Kind of a "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" mentality. If I can't think of a compliment to give another human being or group, I won't post that day. If something bad has happened, I will put a positive spin on it. You know, turn the beat around. Turn it up, turn it up, turn it upside down.

Ooh, boy. I'm gonna need some help.

Help me put some good back into my life. Build a wall of positive energy around this blog. Just for one week! If you're one of my lurkers who read and don't post, try to post an anonymous and positive comment this week. If you're having some crap-tacular luck, too, spin it. Become a "Spin Doctor", if you will.

I'll start. I am going to take today's bad experiences and try to find the good in it. Here goes nothing:

1. The waitresses at my favorite Cincinnati-chili chain (for the sake of anonymity, let's call it, "Charming Silhouette of a City's Buildings" Chili) almost never get my order wrong, overcharge me, and argue with me over the price of a "substitution" all on the same visit.

2. The teenage girl who was supposed to work a booth at Ainsley's school's festival with me today gave me an hour of solid help before she up and left for parts unknown leaving me to work two games in the last hour in the hot sun by myself.

Whew! That was hard, but I feel a little better already. It's either the positive thinking, or the Dos Equis.

Stay tuned...

No comments: