Monday, September 10, 2007

Revelations at a Football Game

Friday night, Ainsley and I went to a home football game at my high school. I am ashamed to confess that this was the first sporting event I've been to in my seven years at this school. I'm a bad teacher, I know. It was Ainsley's idea; she saw a local restaurant commercial that featured clips from a high-school football game, and said she wanted to go to one. We stayed through the marching band's halftime show and had a great time. I also learned some things.

I learned that:

1. Kettle corn rocks. Our band boosters pop it and sell it during home games, and it ranks pretty highly on my list of best snacks ever. Crispy, fluffy, and the perfect blend of salty and sweet...mmmm. I found myself wanting to strap the bag on like a sack of feed and just bury my head in the bag. It was that good.

2. My daughter really, really, really wants to be a cheerleader. More than anything in this world, she says. Which has me thinking: is she really my kid, or did aliens snatch her soul and replace it with some other little girl's?

She's already asked to go to another football game so she can see the cheerleaders and listen to the band (I kept trying to get her to see the merits of being in the marching band, since that's more in her genetic makeup, but she couldn't get past being a cheerleader), so I guess we're becoming regulars. We don't pay much attention to the game, but at least we're there wearing our blue and white. And supporting the band boosters by eating our weight in kettle corn.

1 comment:

Shan said...

I know that you hate these, but...

Help me spread friendship all over the world! Stop by my blog to see how you can help...