Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I See London, I See France...

We got our first note home from Ainsley's teacher. An issue came up which required correction.

The note read, and I quote:

Ainsley looks so cute in her jumper! However, she is having problems sitting like a little lady in it. Until we have this problem solved, please have her wear shorts under her jumper to quell the curiosity!

After I read the note, I asked Ainsley (still in her little uniform jumper) to show me how she has been sitting at school. She grabbed a chair and proceeded to sit cross-legged in it, knees way up in the air, lime-green Hanes prominently on display.

Aww. I couldn't be more proud of little Britney Spears.

In the big scheme of things, this isn't so bad. It's correctable, and not entirely unexpected. Ainsley is a tomboy, and she's never comfortable on those rare occasions I slip her into a dress. I've never really taught her how to sit like a lady; the only time we say anything about how she's sitting is when company comes over when she's in her nightgown. I guess I just assumed the uniform would make the girl and she would automatically know to be prim and proper because the jumper's so stiff and starchy.

Because I am such a, well, freak, I've been more worried about this than I should be. I couldn't help but feel it was some sort of indictment of my mothering skills and Ainsley's kindergarten-readiness. Surely she's not the only little girl who arrives at kindergarten not skilled in the womanly art of crossing her legs at the knee. But then again...

So we've been practicing not sitting "Indian-style" (so un-PC, but old habits die hard) in our chairs. And she's in shorts today; they can wear shorts and not the jumper until October 1. Hopefully, she'll put this all behind her (har!) and move on very soon.

2 comments:

Shan said...

As I told you today, this is a common problem with kindergarten kids--so have no fear! She is perfectly normal (who would have thought flashing your underwear would be perfectly normal?)

Shan said...

Hey--I gave you an award. Stop by my blog to pick it up!