Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Win, Place, or Show Up

Omigod! I just saw the results from the 5K I ran Saturday, the one that dang near killed me, and I came in third in my age group! I am, like, so proud! This was for you, Ains! You complete me! We....are the champions...my friend....



OK, there were only 6 people in my age group. So I am still hanging tough at the 50th percentile.



I beat my previous best time by 40 seconds; no wonder I about died. I got all excited when Jason first saw the results and told me I came in third. Then I saw what I suspected to be true: not very many people in my group. And I was a full 7 minutes behind the 2nd place finisher. So it wasn't even, you know, close.



I'd like to think that one day I will place for real in my age group (for many local 5Ks, awards go to the top 15% in each age group), but I am seeing that you have to have actual athletic ability to do that. (Duh.) It doesn't matter how in shape you think you are, or how much weekend-warrioring you do; if you ain't fast, you ain't fast. And Cranky ain't fast. I thought maybe I would be after a season of competing, because I used to run track and do pretty well for my age, but I'm no natural athlete. Oh, well.



At least I am consistent in my 50th-percentile finishes. If you have to be average, you might as well be consistently average. Hooray, medium-ness!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't sell your self short on this...celebrate the fact that you had the 'nads to even "show up" to do this!!!! YOU GO GIRL......