Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The International Language of Jesus

Ainsley likes to sing to me while she's in the tub. Like many of us, she likes the sound of her own voice when it's resonating around the close walls of the bathroom. Really, I think my best vocals take place in the loo. If only I could have auditioned for Centre Singers there, I might have made it in my freshman year.

Last night she told me about the song her music class has been working on.

"Mommy, we're doing a song in French! I thought it would be hard, but it's really easy."

She proceeded to sing it to me, and I bet you know it. It's a little ditty that goes like this:

Frere Jacques,
Frere Jacques,
Dormez vous?
Dormez vous?
Something, something, something,
Something, something, something,
Din don din,
Din don din.

My French is pretty dim.

I praised her sweet little performance. She then told me about another song she's doing in choir.

"We're doing a song that's not in French, but it's not in English, either. It's in the Jesus Language."

"The Jesus Language?"

"Yeah, it's that language he understands that we talk to him in during mass. I forget what it's called."

"Latin?"

"Yeah! That's it. Latin. The Jesus Language."

Spoken like a true Catholic.

No comments: